Saturday, February 21, 2015

Turntable Part 6 - Adding the railings and completing the assembly of the bridge.


These are the PRR hair pin railing posts they included. The castings are fair but need some trimming. You can see that have to cut the pins off the bottom to get them closer to the one on the left. I pre-drilled the holes in the posts to allow a 0.033 wire rail on top and a 0.020 rail below. They provided two 0.020 railings but that was too light for the upper one for sure. In retrospect, I should have used 0.033 for both railings.

 Here I have started to mount the posts in the holes provided.
 Now you see more posts - I used wire to keep the posts in line as I mounted them. They are not yet epoxied in place.
 The posts are now epoxied on both sides
 Now I have begun to make permanent the railing mountings. The toughest part was bending the railing around the cabin platform. I soldered the railings to each post to ensure the most strength for the  assembly
 Here we see what it looks like in the poit.
 I have added more supports below the cabin platform. In reality, the railroad used small I beams here.
 The other end with the railings in place.
 Another view - I am getting carried away as I like the effect.
 A view with the weights
 Closer shot of the arch - now I have to paint everything to make it look like it has been in long term service. First, I have to modify the cabin to make it look like it is made with steel sheathing.
 Looks good.


1 comment:

  1. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks
    zonetop10

    ReplyDelete