Monday, February 9, 2015

More Turntable Prep - Part 1

 I have to complete the turntable installation and that starts with the pit. I have shown earlier that I put a plaster base into the pit to get a tapered bottom. I then scribed separation lines and cracks into the plaster. I had to paint it to pull everything together. I was unhappy with the standard paint colors so I used a mix of Aged Concrete with a little more yellow and black. I sprayed this on as shown in the top of the pit. It was way too uniform so it it needed something to bring out the detail. After reading some articles and speaking with Lee Turner, I decided to go with an India Ink wash. The bottom of the pit reflects the start of that.
 Here is a close up showing the lines in the concrete. I was happy with that but not happy with the heavy nature of some of the wash. So, I reapplied some concrete to lighten the effect of the wash in certain areas.


 This shows the wash on the whole area before I resprayed the area at the bottom of the picture. I am happy with the effect of the tapered bottom. I am going to do some work to add rust below the track ends over the pit. I also have to spray the ring rail and install it, once I get this base color done. I am also building and modifying the bridge so make it more satisfactory to me. More on this later.


No comments:

Post a Comment