Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Turntable - Part 3 - Finishing the pit

 Okay, I won't bore you with the details of me having the take the pit rail out and paint every tie by hand to get the color of the ties where I liked it plus maintain the rust color on the rails and tie plates. I mixed up a tie color by taking rail brown and adding grimy black plus thinner. That made a thick wash that left the grain visible while coloring the ties adequately. So, many brush strokes later, I was able to reinsert the ring rail back into the pit. Then I had to drill a number 67 hole in the ties where I was going ot spike the track down. This illustrates that step. An old tooth brush cleans up the residue of the drilling.
 Here the rail is now in the pit and it looks a lot better than the monocrome color we had before.
 A few closer views . This shot actually includes the wire lead that drops below the pit the power the ring rail. The nice thing is you can't see it.
 Another overview that shows that I have to smooth the cinders so they look mor erandom.
 We are now at the finish point.
I am satisfied with the pit so now on to the bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment