Well, no I have to address one scenery problem and that is the lack of access to the tracks going into the other section of the room. When I built the big mountain and the circular wall backdrop, I created about a 6 foot section of track that will not be able to be reached unless you climb on the scenery. So I need a pop up to get to this. So, I gathered my nail gun, glue and plywood to create a box through the scenery. I had to do this before I built the rest of the hill, while I could still reach it.
So, the box is taking shape - to match the topography we will create later with the plaster scenery.
Box is now done. I used the frame of the benchwork to provide a lip for the plug base to rest on.
The webbing will now have to be brought up to the box to incorporate it into the scenery.
Looking from the other room, you see the track entering the narrows and the access that the box provides. All this work and I used this access about once in 10 years - but just in case!
For the base of the plug, I used 1/8th inch thick plywood. I want this to be as light as possible. The grey piece of wood is a handle to hold it as you lift it up.
I spliced two pieces of scrap to make the part. It is a trapezoid due to the odd shape of the box. Having two pieces made cutting it much easier.
This is a side view of how I made the handle. That is a one by two on top of a one by one.
Box with plug inserted. Bow we have to build up the sides.
Well, the turnouts are in but now we have to make a transition from the escape turnout, down a hill to the yard level. You can see the turnout past my elbow where we have no track yet attached as we have about 5/16ths of height difference in the road bed between the main and the yard. So, we need to make a transition.
So, a visiting friend, Dan, was tasked with making that transition during the train night. It took him a lot of card stock but he did it over a distance of 30 inches and on a curve. Good Job, Dan!!
The rest of the gang was primarily working on incorporating a hatch into the scenery around the back of the big hill. Jim, a friend from the Baltimore area, was visiting to get some ideas for his new layout and was supervising.
The fellows are working with cardboard to do a mock up of what we need.
Meanwhile, Alan was patiently painting and coating plaster shoulders in the Snyderstown area.
Later, after things quieted down, I went in and used what the guys had done to lay out a plywood lined hatch.
The hatch sides mimic the roll of the hill side.
This will allow me to get to an area that would be inaccessible once the scenery is all in. I used 1/2 inch plywood as the sides. The cover will be made of expanded foam with a plaster coating.
I believe I will have to make the hatch top before I finish the plaster scenery so I can make it match. It would be difficult to do if the plaster is on the hill side.
This is the view from the other end of the curve. The cardboard line is the top of the declining hill.