Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Finishing The East End Turnouts


 Well, the double slip is in and now we have to lay another three turnouts on curves to tie in the Arrival/Departure tracks and a caboose track
 The caboose track will go off to the left where you see the code 125 rail coming up. We also have to tie into the track to the right of that. It is the alternate lead to the Arrival track.
 Looking back, I have laid two curved turnouts to both tie that Arrival track in and to put in an escape track to the turntable.
 First we use the turnout template to determine what size frog I need to smoothly tie in the caboose track. It turns out that a number 8 will flow well with the leads.
 I used a curve template to be sure that the minimum radius was maintained. I use 62 inches as a minimum. I also located the switch motor hole with the diagram. You can see the hole in the paper.
 Ties are now glued down after I located and drilled the hole for the switch machine. I used the turnout template to do that. I use the steel rod and bar to hold the ties down while the glue sets.
 An overhead view of the process.
 I used the straight edge under the paper to give me a straight line template for the ties.
 Then we have to sand the ties before starting to lay rails.
 These are the leads into the Arrival tracks.
 I laid a piece of flex track over the ties to be sure it flowed well.
 Now I begin to lay the rail. The outer running rails go first. The frog is set based on the template.
 Starting to put basic spikes in to hold the general shape of the turnout.
 Frog goes pretty smoothly into place.
 More rails added. I am building the turnout in Code 148 to match the main line. I will transition to Code 125 as we go into the yard about a foot down from the turnout.
 Guard rails are in and the points are being bent to match the gauge.

 Turnout is almost complete.
 Now I have to accommodate the existing track and make the transition joint.
 Ties are now trimmed and the turnout is essentially complete.
 The throat is now almost done. I will finish the track and add the motor shortly.  Everything will blend in color as I paint the track work.

No comments:

Post a Comment