Monday, February 5, 2018

Laying in the New Double Slip

 Here you can see the new turnout laying on top of the ties and adjacent rail. I have to trim the rails and some PC ties to get it to fit. I have had this new turnout for over a year and have not been pressed to do this as the other switch worked okay but I felt this would be an improvement.
 Here you can see the gaps with the ties that I will fill in as the turnout becomes more set. I am also using the flex track to absorb the difference in angle to keep the trackwork smooth.
 The opposite end of the turnout with the same problem - need to cut the rails to make the joints.
 Here is the tentative set of the whole turnout.
 Jack Brown is working as the top man as I am under the layout pushing the actuating rods from the switch motors up through the deck.  We had major problems with the stiffness of the throws. I used dry graphite as a lubricant and finally had to go to heavier piano wire to get the point to throw over.  I am a little concerned about that but think they will break in with use.
Here is the finished installation. Now I have to complete the leads to the turnout. More on that next.

No comments:

Post a Comment