Monday, February 5, 2018

Adding Switchwork at the East End of the Yard

 Well, Jim Mucka came down from Pennsylvania for a couple of days of layout theory and also hands on track work. So, we began to install turnouts on the east end of the yard. The one he is laying the ties for is to take an engine to the engine house off the Arrival track.
 He is using a straight edge to keep the ties aligned in a tangent off the diverging track. Takes time but makes a big difference. Actually makes the tie laying easier.
 Here is the completed turnout, less the point bar. I had previously sanded the ties after the glue dried and then I placed the components down. I use ROW cast frogs and points so the turnout construction goes a little bit faster. This is a number 7.
 That turnout previously laid goes into another turnout for the switch lead for the yard.
 Coming through that one, we head down the track towards the entrance to the arrival and departure tracks.
 We have a double slip at that throat. I am going to replace this double slip with another that has a higher frog number as I think that will enhance the track work. This is a bit problematic as I have to lift the existing turnout while saving as many ties as I can.
 In my usual haphazard fashion I have gathered the tools and they become spread out as I use them.  The work train is parked on the adjacent siding though.
 Looking out further, you can see the overall ladder that I am trying to finish up. This area has a combination of Code 148 and Code 125 track. Main is the Code 148 and the yard is Code 125.
 The new double slip is sitting in the area as I size up the nature of our problem. We will have to excise a lot of ties and also build up the PC Board ties top match the remaining ties and Atlas track.
 This is a poor shot of the removed double slip. It took me about an hour to carefully remove it. Those are my O scale scissors in the shot also.
Finally I can rest the new turnout on the ties before I begin the installation process.

No comments:

Post a Comment