Monday, June 4, 2018

Putting in Another Section of Backdrop

 So, working with Backdrop Junction' owner, Dave Burgess, he came up with another nice scene that did a good job representing central Pennsylvania. Here I am trying to see where to start the scene.
 It has a nice look at this point.
 I draped it over the hill to get the best perspective I could before I cut anything.
 This is the preceding scene. Not a match but around the corner and somewhat consistent.
 After careful measuring and making a mock up, the photo is cut and this is how it will look.
 Not bad and will look better with some foliage added.
 Still looks good.
 Now we begin with me explaining what I have in mind and what I have marked on the wall. It is an all hands exercise as it is a longish photo.
 Work begins with the crew in place.
 More measuring to be sure.
 I take one last look before we start.
 I prepare the end of the piece to go on to the wall. Tension is high - at least on my part!
 Everyone is holding their section as I start to place the photo onto the glue.
 Ed reaches out for a small adjustment as the photo appears to be rising slightly.
 Alan checks how it will get around the coved corner.
 Ed is rolling as Alan is smoothing with his hand.
 Ed is totally involved and I supervise and check for appearance. It is looking good. I cut the end at a reasonable spot.
 Phil is positioning that last piece.
 Here it goes as we finish it up.
 Okay, how will it look as we go around the curve??
 Not too bad
 Telling the guys where we have to do our next photo - over the other side.
 The finished product. I have to build some scenery to cover the bottom of the photo where the blue is.
 We all admire what we have accomplished!
 Looks good
 from a bit of a distance.
 At the coved corner - looks good!
 Fits well with the hill. I was worried about this.
 Buildings go well in front.
Finished scene, awaiting some plaster to fill in the rear.

A couple of Work Nights

 We have to finish the mountain on the grade out of Milton so Alan and Mike are painting the Scupltamold coat with ground cover before putting the grass coat on.
 The ground coat is a latex base color diluted 50/50 with water . Mike is in the hatch we built previously.
 Jack is scoping out the electrical work that has to be done.
 Phil and Paul are readying themselves for more plaster work.
 While the guys are working on the scenery, I have been soldering drops for each of the turnouts in the east end of the yard. There are about 30 turnouts to do here. First, I drill the holes for the wire (I use a 19 gauge solid wire drop) and then I place each wire which I color code by turnout to avoid cross wiring. Then I go along and solder each one to the side of the rail on the other side of the view line.
 Wires are now soldered in.
 Now the underneath work begins.
 Meanwhile, it is all hands as we work on scenery. Gale in the back is putting ground cover in a hard to reach area. Thanks Gale!!
 Jack is working with Rich on a project with Ed and Tim to put connectors on tothe Circuitron turnout motors that we installed earlier.
 Phil and Paul are laying the paper on to the grid for plastering the grade out of Northumberland. Mike  has his back to us as he does the same for the banks of the Susquehanna River.



Rich is watching Tim as he supports Ed who is under the layout. This is a beginning to a big electrical offensive.

Finishing the Coved Corner

 Well, now we have to mud in the seams of the plastic sheet. Tools are at the ready!
 First heavy coat is up and water handy for some mild leveling.
 Putting more light on the subject to ensure level work
 Bouncing the light around as we place the final coat of mud.
Painted to match the wall. Close to ready for the backdrop.

Monday, April 2, 2018

Coving our First Corner in Paxinos

 Well, I would like to put up a photo mural as the backdrop to Paxinos so I have to cove the corner so it will flow through the scene.  Paul and Ed did the initial work to cut grooves in the wall for the heavy plastic sheet to fit into to make it easier for me to spackle the panel in place. I placed a test panel in place to check the strength and to measure the distance from the rear of the sheet to the center of the corner. It was 4 5/8 inches. Seemed to work okay.
 I then hot glued a panel of cardboard into the corner and perpendicular to the plastic sheet to strength it. I will have to paint the sheet and then put on the mural and I did not want it to move around. I left the test panel in place as I set the cardboard to make sure it did not distort the plastic.
 Jason was my assistant - and I was glad to have him as he had to hand me a lot of stuff as I was in a  small place. I do not get my photo on the blog often so Jason took a a couple of cameos.
 Now I am removing the test panel to ready the place for the full panel. I worked with Dylan on a drill press to countersink holes in the plastic sheet so the sheet rock screws would not be above the surface. He drilled about 20 holes as we spaced them every 4 inches. He is a great helper. He is anxious to start scenery and wants to make trees. We will have to get him into that as I need mucho.

 Here is the panel in place. You can see the sheet rock screws on the edge. I also placed a healthy amount of Liquid nails Project glue on the back of the panel. I really do not want this sheet to move. The foreground will be a low hill that blends into the corner so you will not see that lower joint.
 A closer view. I tested its flex and there is none with that cardboard backer. I am very happy how that came out. The screws are very close to flush so I am hopeful I will not have to put a lot of spackle on it. I need to let it sit for a couple of days to be sure the glue has dried.
From the other wall. Our two projects with the family made great progress. Now I have to finish them  up.