Friday, March 30, 2018

Building that Pop Up

 Well, no I have to address one scenery problem and that is the lack of access to the tracks going into the other section of the room. When I built the big mountain and the circular wall backdrop, I created about a 6 foot section of track that will not be able to be reached unless you climb on the scenery. So I need a pop up to get to this. So, I gathered my nail gun, glue and plywood to create a box through the scenery.  I had to do this before I built the rest of the hill, while I could still reach it.
 So, the box is taking shape - to match the topography we will create later with the plaster scenery.
Box is now done. I used the frame of the benchwork to provide a lip for the plug base to rest on. 
 The webbing will now have to be brought up to the box to incorporate it into the scenery.
 Looking from the other room, you see the track entering the narrows and the access that the box provides. All this work and I used this access about once in 10 years - but just in case!
 For the base of the plug, I used 1/8th inch thick plywood. I want this to be as light as possible. The grey piece of wood is a handle to hold it as you lift it up.
 I spliced two pieces of scrap to make the part. It is a trapezoid due to the odd shape of the box. Having two pieces made cutting it much easier. 
 This is a side view of how I made the handle. That is a one by two on top of a one by one.
 Box with plug inserted. Bow we have to build up the sides.
 Plug resting on the frame rails
Plus set to slide in.

No comments:

Post a Comment