Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Continuing on the turntable - Part 2 - The pit

 Well, after the weathering with the India ink, I added some rust color to the sides below the radius tracks. It was suggested that I blend everything with a lighter color. I was  thinking Grimy Black but that would make it too dark. So, I sprayed a diluted amount of Aged Concrete which was the base color.
 The pit is starting to look better as the weathering has become a little muted and more subtle. You can definitely see the runs of rust from the tracks above but not over powering.
 The runs stop when we reach the ends of the radius tracks and we just have dirty concrete. The pit and the ring rail base show some rust from the ring rail.
 You can see more of that subtle rust effect with this shot.
 I am pleased with the look of the base and now have to add some other effects
 I have added some very fine cinders that might accumulate in the area around the ring rail base. I assume the RR would keep the pit generally clear for drainage. I need to fine tune this before I secure it. I believe I will add some around the ring rail as that would be harder to keep clear.
 Here is the ring rail which I fabricated from Micro Engineering code 148 track. I ripped the track down the middle and it nicely matched the size of the base. The manufacturer had supplied grossly oversized Atlas 3 rail track for this and I could not use it. Since I went to lighter rail, I had to raise the base of the ring rail to maintain the proper bridge height. I showed that in an earlier post. The ring is in my spray room and I will spray it with rail brown color.
 Here it is sprayed and laid into the pit. I think the color is too light and I have to make the rail rusty. So some more painting to come after I let it dry thoroughly.
 More views of the ring rail in different parts of the pit.

Overall, I am generally pleased but know I have a little more work to do, which includes fastening the ring rail to the pit.

No comments:

Post a Comment