Thursday, February 12, 2015

The turntable - Part 4 - Starting the bridge

 Here is the bridge provided by the manufacturer. It comes with Atlas code 140 track on the deck. The tie spacing is a bit wide so I needed to hide that. I added decking between the rails. It is the same thickness as the side deck provided. I went board by board and then scribed separations and nail holes to match what the manufacturer used. It is a very solid and heavy bridge that should make a good representation.
 This end shot shows the center decking in place.I colored it with india ink washes to match the side deck. It will get painted some when I finish the bridge as the decks were very black due to the creosote and oils that were present in real life.
 You can see my scribing in this view. I have also added the base of the control cabin kit that comes with the turntable. The hole is to allow lighting in the cabin if you wish.
 
 I have built the cabin kit but not inserted the windows or door. The cabin is a very ornate design that had been mostly sheathed by metal in the mid 50's. I will paint this black as we get closer to completion. I placed it on the base to see how it looks.
This is an end view. Now I have to build the arch. It is made up of some brass castings. More on that in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment