Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Making curved corners




Well, now for some fancy footwork! I did not want right angle corners around the engine terminal area as I think we might see a lot of traffic there as everyone comes over to see those I1's and M1's that will be stored in the area. We will also have some Alco PA's burbling away in the diesel area.
So, just like building a wooden model airplane, we have to make some formers. The first shot shows two cut out of 3/4 inch plywood. They will form the top and bottom of the corner. I also had to cut an inset for the bendable plywood so it would be flush with the side rails.
In the second shot, you can see the two plates in place, along with the special cuts I had to make in the side rails to tie them in. I made tongues to mate up with the bendable plywood and match the depth of the inset cuts in the 3/4 inch plywoood. I also backed the side rail up with 1 inch by 1 inch reinforcing to strengthen the joint.
The third shot shows how they looked after they were in place and then covered with the bendable plywood. In the last shot, you can clearly see how the 3/4 plywood ties into the side rail and the bendable plywood then makes the corners. I am pleased how they came out.





No comments:

Post a Comment