Thursday, July 6, 2017

Preparing the Main Pier

 Well, the bridge we are making will go over the main aisle so it has to be high. You can see that the pier that we are going to use is really tall. Alan B. our resident woodworker made it to the dimension we specified by putting about 6 pieces of pine scraps together and then planning it to a taper on all four sides. He did a great job.
 I put three coats of sanding sealer on it, sanding between each coat, to eliminate any grain. It came out looking beautiful as a piece of wood.
 It reaches all the way up to the upper deck! I had to use the edge of the yard as a work space so I could paint it.
 Now we have moved to the spray room. I have it balanced on my sand blasting cabinet in front of the spray booth.
 First we will prime it and then we will paint it with Floquil Aged Concrete. I think I will weather it once it is placed.
 It has been prime with Tamiya light grey to we took the grain out of the picture.
 Nice an even coat that dries quikly. I used the spary can for this one.
 Now the aged concrete color goes on. Took a couple of coats.

 Looks pretty even.
 The top is offset as the through truss deck is not at the same height as the deck girder.
 I placed it at the location where it will be used. The height looks good. I hope no trimming is required! The next step is to cut out the 2X4 and the temporary deck.
It is going to be pretty imposing when you enter the room and see the bridges here. I can't wait to finish the hill side!

No comments:

Post a Comment