Thursday, July 6, 2017

Building the Crowl Area

 Well, you have seen the backdrop go up. Now we have to add the topography that will integrate it into the scene. I put plastic over the picture to protect it from plaster, etc.  The basic land form is to have a road coming up onto the layout near the glue gun, turning right and disappearing behind the hill on the far right. This is to simulate Crowl where there was a store and a road curving in front. So, this is our first attempt.
I have been having problems with less costly blue tape as it does not hold the plastic over the picture and then the plastic sticks to itself and I have a mess rather than a cover. You can see the tape and the plastic lying on the webbing. Aggravating to say the least.

 Paul C. had some good burns on his fingers from the hot glue and I joined him the other day with burns as I worked to complete the area. I cut the width of the road back and it balanced the scene a little more. The tape failed once more so I went out and bought 3M tape.

 The new road shape is more pleasing and the structure is more rigid so I am pleased. It is only a two lane country road so the width, at 5 inches is appropriate.
The new tape holds well also.
 The homasote to the right is the base for the general store. The webbing continues to bridge the gap to the wall. I want a slight rise with a drop just as the land gets to the picture to hide the seam.
 The track gets real close as we go along so I have to make a small hump to get the effect I would like. A little more pronounced than before but manageable.
 So, here we are back at the start of the scene with a perspective that is a little lower. The hill looks about right and the road disappears as desired. This is the Shamrock Tank. We are about 22 feet to the back wall.
 The general store is in the distance. The helpers would tie up here and then go up for water at the tank at Shamrock, leaving the train at the store - called Crowl.
 Further down the line, the hill base looks good relative to the track. This will be wooded when we are done.
Now to the last section. I am going to extend the base of the town (you can just see it above the glue gun) out to the right and close to the wall with the photo. Then I will plant a grove of trees to mask the end of the picture. I will also paint some backdrop trees on the back wall going to the left. It will become blocked by some large building that is yet TBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment