Sunday, July 23, 2017

Continuing with the bridge

 Well, while the guys were working on the rosin paper in Crowl, Alan and I, later joined by Rich, worked on setting abutments for the bridge over the aisle. We did a lot of measuring and then re-measuring to set the height of the abutment by Shamokin. You can see we have a problem with the abutment being a bit wide so it sticks out slightly, over the edge of the fascia. We cut the road bed so there is no going back now. The track is now severed. Unfortunately, it appears it will take more work than I expected plus I have to add two turnouts to the line leading to the bridge.
I will need to make a small trim piece to hold the end of the abutment. I am thinking I can make a retaining wall on this side from RR ties - sort of cribbing.
 Now we have to set the exact location and height of the main abutment for the other end of the bridge - that big concrete one you saw previously. It is going to barely fit inside of the main line. It has been suggested that I make a full scale template for the bridge. I think I need something more elaborate to help set the height as well. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment