Saturday, May 6, 2017

New Rolling Stock

 Well, we had some new additions to our rolling stock this week with some cars painted by Lee Turner - a true artist. This is a container car that is on a PRR FM flat car. It is from the 1930's but we can use artistic license to operate it with more contemporary equipment.
 We also have a flat car with an older bulldozer from Navy surplus going to a customer after an auction of surplus government equipment. You can almost see the Seabees clustering around it!
 The bulldozer is from a kit I had purchased some years ago to use as a flat car load but I had no idea it was as old a prototype as it was. When I asked Lee to build and paint it as a load, he realized it was from 1937 so would not have been a new shipment in my era, so came up with the idea of a surplus equipment sale. He even put gallon cans over the exhausts to show it was well cared for in storage!
Building the kit was the hardest part of the commission. I must have had it for 30 years!
So, they will look terrific in another merchandise train. Now to check the drawers for more old kits. Lee complains that I give him the hardest cars to do - as he struggled with five FM flat cars using the Car Works decals which were white on white backgrounds. He figured out my strategy!

No comments:

Post a Comment