Saturday, May 6, 2017

Model Building continues

 While working on the bridge, I had to finish some tenders that  have languished for years. I owed a friend a finished tender after he provided parts for two of them, Class 70f70 tenders, used behind some PRR 2-8-0's. I also had a class 80F80 that he provided that needed a frame and tail beam. So, I spent about a month of free time getting them done. I had built the bodies about 2 years ago and now had to get them done by May. Nothing like a deadline to focus your efforts. So, here is the rear of the 80F80, sporting its class plate and new tail beam and frame. The tender was made in Japan for a failed project in about 1985. The tarnish shows that age.
 I made up the trucks from casting I had made from a master I had found. The sides are photoetched brass.
 The top deck needed some repair work and I have to add a headlight and platform to complete it. I may extend the coal boards as well.
 The front deck of the tender is made for a Crawford stoker that was on the H10 class of locomotive.
 Last view where I had to move some underbody detail.
 Now for the big job. On this one, a 70F70, all I had was a bag of parts for the two tenders. I used the previous tender as a master, to see what the Japanese builder had in mind when he made the parts. I had to use a torch, a resistance soldering unit, two size irons including a big 80 watt one, and a soldering gun. Parts had to be made on the lathe and I had to make some jigs to hold everything together, especially the tail beam assembly which was made from about 20 parts! It took a lot of celaning as I went along as the tarnish inhibited any soldering efforts.
 I had to fabricate some parts, like the ladder and the piping, grabs, etc. The class plate came from Ted Stepek. The ladder was very interesting and I am happy I can now do that for some other projects. This took me about 2 months to get to work right. Frank Miller and Jim Mucka gave a lot of technical advice in this area.
 I plan to use it behind an H-9 and am happy how it looks.
 The firing deck lines up well so it looks natural.
 Top looks good. I shortened the coal compartment and may raise the coal boards as per later practice.
 Other side view with the etched sides. Trucks are my castings.
 Firing deck view. The water scoop control is the best representation I have seen.
 Another top view
I just love my ladder! Look forward to having it on the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment