Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Continuing with Weigh Scales

 Some time ago, Julie had put up some backdrop on the east end of Weigh Scales. If you look back a couple of years you will see her in action, painting the wall. This is where she stopped.
 I have been looking at the beautiful trees she drew and something did not see quite right. Now that I am putting up distant ridges, I could see that we had made the trees too tall and we had no distant perspective.
 So, now I have to continue the trees that I drew further to the west and then blend them into what she did - quite a challenge as I am no artist.
 So, the first thing was to put up the basics of the distant ridge line. It is to reappear as the lower hill drops down.
 I brought the ridge line around and covered the upper quarter of her trees with my ridge. Things looked better already.
 I carried the ridge down to the rising hill in the Shamokin Narrows. It disappears again.
 It tapers off behind the near trees.
 Now I have to go along and put the suggestions of individual trees onto that background color.
 I am working along and put an open field at the joint of the lower colors to distract you a little.
 Coming down to the home stretch on the ridge.
 Finished the ridge - about 2.5 hours - and put on the base color of green for the near trees. Problem number one is that my base is more olivey than Julie's colors. Hers are a crisper green.
 Her trees are a brighter green than mine are.
 Well, we have to make it work so I tried to get more green into the lower tree impressions than I had used in the earlier sections of this color. I began this at the joint in the wall where I will have some tall buildings so it will not be so noticeable. That is just behind my head.
 The tree detail is coming closer to our destination.
 Well, we are joined up and I am pleased as it is not too obvious
 A closer look under that field and it seems okay.
 I still want to spray the overall scene with flat clear to tone down the sheen of the acrylics. I'll try that soon.
The joint seems okay - I am happy - another two hours spent in an odd shape - the old bod aches.

No comments:

Post a Comment