Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Finishing the hidden yard - Part 2




After I had laid the yard tracks we had to address the actual throat turnouts. I used Atlas Number 7 turnouts as the Key J1 will go through these.




I do not use these turnouts in visible sections as they are really oversized and not like the prototype. They are a fast way for the hidden area though. I will have to go back and ensure they stay insulated and add feeders so I do not have to worry about them in the future.
It took a few attempts to get a smooth flow from the 8 tracks into the two main line tracks but I think we achieved that. You can see the affect in the third picture. I have run an I1 (2-10-0) back and forth with no problem. I then added some passenger cars and again, no problem, so I think I am set.




Lastly I secured the curved sub-roadbed that we had cut about a year ago when we cut the yard sub-roadbed out . In the third picture I am adjusting its alignment and by the fourth picture, it is screwed together.




Now we have to get ready to build more bench work to carry us into Milton, PA.



















No comments:

Post a Comment