Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Working on the caboose fleet - N6b's

 Well, we need to expand our caboose fleet as more trains are running on the branch. I purchased some poorly painted N6b's on Ebay some time back. Then I sanded off lettering and/or paint, spot repainted and then relettered with far better material. There are 5 that are in the group that I am finishing up. One is in shadow lettering and the other 4 are in the pre-1954 lettering.
 I have taped the wheel treads to protect from the weathering that I am going to spray on the undersides. I did not care about the color of the undersides as they look the same with the coating of grime they will receive.
I then added Steve Grabowski's PRR lanterns to the bodies. A pain to solder on as they have to be bent to catch the corner. The smoke stacks also will be painted with a steel color. I will then put a dark brown wash on the cars and top it off with a grime overspray. These cars are at the end of their service lives so will not be too clean. More pictures as they go on the layout after all the weathering and then the glazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment