Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Track work modifications - Northumberland

 Well, I realized that we would like to have a siding for head end equipment and a doodlebug at the Northumberland station so that required a lot of track work to be able to access it from both directions. So, I had to start by ripping out the main for about 15 feet to allow me to put in two #8 crossings plus a #7 switch into the station track.
 The track is out and laying on the branch line arrival track. I have laid the ties at both ends of the two crossings plus for the siding. The heavy rod weighs the ties down in the glue until they dry. Then I have to go in and sand everything smooth.
 Here is a long view so you see the ties at the other end as well. They have already been sanded.
 A long distance shot. Hopefully, the trackwork will be done in a week.
 I am also going to add a wye track that leads to the turntable and I will have a custom track builder make it for me. He is in Utah so I have to make a template of the track in the area. That is the paper template laying on the track. It also has my instructions to him on it.
 It will be a number 8 wye to make a very soft curve for the larger engines to negotiate. The curve is a about a 72 inch radius. It is on the branch line departure track and allows east bound engines to leave their trains and access the engine house without going down the yard lead.
 I am also replacing an unsatisfactory number 8 double slip that is a critical turnout for me. 
 These are views of that switch so I can see what I have to cut out. It is not going to be a pleasant job.

No comments:

Post a Comment