Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Forward portion of the grade up to Mt. Carmel

 In an earlier post, I showed the building of the hill side behind the track up to Mt. Carmel. I built a band board in the front of that grade and last night Alan and Paul put the webbing up on the forward portion of the grade. The sloped board in the foreground is the start of a ridge line for a forward hill side. That has not been finally positioned yet.
 Here is an overview of the whole grade with the webbing in place. Next comes the rosin paper and then the plaster work.
 The foreground where those horizontal boards are held up by clamps, shows where the ridge line will go. The height of the ridge is generating some controversy as I am tall and most of the team are not (height challenged as we say). So, if I make it too tall, they cannot see the train on its whole way up the grade as there will be a hill side to the left of the ridge line. So, they are advocating that I lower the ridge and make more of the hill side visible. The problem is that I will then see more of the band board I built. I plan to paint it a dark green but may have to glue some vegetation to the front to hide some of it.
 Looking from the start of the grade on the side of the hill.
Looking from where the girder bridge over the gorge will go. The track is rising to the left and then goes around a horseshoe and continues up to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment