Wednesday, August 16, 2017

C1 makes the Layout

 Well, it has been a long struggle but the C1 (0-8-0 for the non - PRR fans) made the layout last week. It is still not complete as I have to add markers light lenses and coal to the tender. It is amazing how long it all takes. What with adding glass to the cab, lenses for the headlights, fabricating and painting a crew, getting the lights to work, etc. The engine has been in the works for about 2 years. This tender is off a Key Models H8 and really had great detail going in so it did not need modification.
 The boiler was fabricated and detailed by Frank Miller and put on a US Hobbies mechanism. We repowered it with a Pittman motor. It really runs quiet and smooth. I obtained the prints from the Historical Archives with the help of Joe Acri. That allowed me to get all the parts we needed plus have additional parts fabricated by Frank. I am really pleased with how it looks.
I painted the engine and weathered it using techniques that Lee Turner was kind enough to teach me. Now to get that coal in the tender and call it complete! There is an Altoona version of the I1 (2-10-0) that is in the shop that will be the next engine on the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment