Friday, June 23, 2017

More Bridge Work

 Well, we need to build a deck girder bridge to allow us to finish the bridge over the aisle. I have several Auel die cast girders that I bought from Ed Rappe some years ago and now have to figure out how to make them into a bridge. I drew up a diagram of what the internal bent  size would be. From that I then sketched out a jig that I could use to speed the process. Here is my sketch and then the resultant jig.
 I am using Evergreen angle and some flat material for fish plates. I have the two vertical members of the bent inserted in the jig.
 I then cross the top with another angle and glue it to the plates.
 This shows a completed bent with the cross members as well.
 I am test fitting the bents into the girder wall. I need a total of seven bents to hold the bridge together.
 Here you can see them lined up. I used an spoxy to glue the bents to the die cast girders.
 Now I have added the second girder and clamped the assembly to the table to keep it rigid and aligned. These girders are not precise components.
 I had to add a square to the end of the bridge to make sure the girders were in a box format.
 So, the whole thing is now clamped with the square. I discovered that the deck was not true so added another square to pull that nto place
 You can see the bottom pretty clearly here. I will add the bottom braces once the epoxy sets overnight
 This shows the second square holding the deck surface in parallel. More tomorrow when it dries.


No comments:

Post a Comment