Friday, June 23, 2017

Completing the Girder Bridge

 Well, the epoxy dried overnight and the bridge was in pretty good shape. I have a little work to do on the deck but I can go ahead and put in the lateral braces. The deck will take some sanding.
 Again, I used the plastic angle and made some gussets out of sheet styrene. It was a bit of a pain as I had to set the angle by reaching down through the structure but they went into place. So, this is the completed structure. Looks nice
 The top of the deck is a broad section to support the ties. Not prototypical but will not be seen unless you look very closely. The problem was that the surface was not true so I have a big (12 inch) disk sander that I ran across the surface to get it very close. I was not sure how the plastic would hold it but it did fine.
 Now that the structural work is done, the bridge has to be primed as I am sure the paint will not adhere well to the die cast without it. So into the spray booth for that.
 Tamiya light grey primer and it looks a lot better. I actually like the look of the bridge.
The only thing I am debating is adding Archer rivets on the gussets as a sharp eyed guest might notice that there are no rivets and the balance of the bridge has a lot of rivets. So, I guess I will do that before I add the color tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment