Sunday, March 4, 2012

Adding the yard tracks

 Well, now that we completed the ladder turnouts on the west end of the yard, we have pushed on to install most of the yard tracks themselves. This is a view from the center aisle showing the four yard tracks and the Arrival and Departure tracks along with the two main tracks. I had two open houses recently. One was for a local Model railroad club and the other was for some prototype enthusiasts. I also had a weekend with my grandson. So, I put out some extra cars so we could run some trains. I had a 43 car train running around behind some Sharks. They looked great. Here you see that we put some cars in the yard with a switch

 engine, a Baldwin unit. This is a closer view of it. This is a test train to run back and forth as I test the track. All is well so far.
 Here is a view from the other side as I stand in the main aisle. We are looking towards the east end of the yard. I plan to lay track down to where I have to build more switches.
 A higher shot, further down the yard, looking east. The last track to the right is not actually laid down as I have to build the run around track there and I was checking clearances.
 Here is the end of the line. I have to build the ladder switches and the crossings to get into the yard on the east end.
Here we are at the east end and you can see the switch templates are down so I can check my alignments and make sure it will all flow well.
 A higher view that shows the location of a double slip that will be the second switch in from the east bound main track. I have checked the framing under the top and I seem to be able to fit it all in. I have not checked that on the ladder turnouts yet. but am keeping my fingers crossed.
 A closer view showing where the ladder will go - next to where you see that aluminum rod to the left that ends under the soldering iron.
Here is a distance shot looking back into the yard with the branch high on the wall in the rear. The flow of the yard is nice but I am concerned about the coupling on a curve issue. There are plenty of curves in this yard. It looks like Clifton Forge on the C&O.

No comments:

Post a Comment