Saturday, May 10, 2014

Some finishing work - Volume 4

 Well, we are nearing the end of the benchwork before we jump past a door so I am trying to get the fascia done to that point. We also have to incorporate a recessed control panel at Paxinos, so I have to put some framing in to reinforce the paneling there. You can see that I have added the splice panel reinforcing (the wood closest to us) and, looking to the left, the reinforcing for the right side of the control panel. The horizontal posts sticking out under the track reinforce the top edge of the paneling.
 Going back to Shamrock, you can see where we have added the horizontal reinforcers that match the vertical plane of the bench work. This is looking towards Paxinos. I am going to place a bridge over the track to provide a view block to separate the scenes.


 Moving up the track, all the braces are in but I have to set the roadway height for the bridge when I come through here with the paneling.
 Here is first piece of paneling cut to go in around that curve. You can see the bump up where the road will hit the paneling as the bridge crosses the track. I am gathering the clamps, etc, to set this piece in the glue I have placed on the bench work.
 The big problem going around a curve is that it requires a great many clamps to hold it close to our contours. So, we clamped the joint fully, using a ripped 2X4 to spread the pressure evenly. The glue is coming out nicely so I am happy.
 It is a bigger problem clamping these taller pieces so I had to come up with a different system but I did use a lot of spring clamps to hold the base. I shot some nails into the top where we had a horizontal reinforcer. You can see the rise in the paneling where the road will go over the tracks. It is just above the big blue clamp.
 Now you see the second piece that brought us to the splice backup that we placed earlier. I need to go back in and cut out the fascia for the panel.
 So, this is Paxinos with fascia.
 This is the curve from Shamrock with fascia
And this is the line up the hill to Paxinos. You can clearly see the rise in the fascia for the farmers bridge over the line. The next installment will detail the installation of the panel at Paxinos. Then we go onto Weigh Scales which starts along the back wall in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment