Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Finishing the cab detail on the GP9 with those cab awnings. Job Done!

Well, this is a project that has languished for about a year as I finished the whole engine but was concerned about how I could model the retractable cab awning on the PRR GP9 cabs. My friend Lee Turner gave me the idea when he sent me a photo of an excellent job he did to model this some year ago. 

 So, here we have the finished cab. One side will have closed windows, which is the fireman's side. The engineer's side will have open widows so you can see him. This is the open window before we build the awning. 

Here is the closed window with the shade furled. I used cigarette paper, per Lee's instructions, and painted it a tan color. 
This gives a better look at it. 
Here I am making the open shade. The cigarette paper is glued to the brass rod, and then painted. The paint stiffens the paper and allows me to glue it with canopy glue to the side of the cab. 
Here is the finished engine with the fireman's side towards us. 
It has all the PRR lettering that they came out with. The antenna addition is a pain to build but it really makes the engine look distinctive. 
Here is the engineer's side with the shade open. 
Here is the relaxed and cool engineer enjoying the fresh air. I will do a little weathering but these engines were new in my time frame. 

My engine does not look as good as Lee's, but I think I captured the effect. The engine is now running with another, later model GP9. These are by Oriental. Next out is an RS1 with a longer shade. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment