Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Continuing the track laying

Given that I am working near the ceiling, I have to find a way to look at the track alignment, so I decided to use a mirror to look down the line. It really helped. 

So, now I have begun to lay the ties, using a straight edge to align them coming off the branch line. After they are glued, I place two heavy weights onto the ties to be sure they are fully into the glue. I also used a piece of Atlas track as a guide to be sure I had consistent spacing of the ties. 
Now, here is the first section glued in place. I have to get the second turnout laid out, so it flows into the second siding track. You can see the center line of that track coming out from under the turnout template beyond the raw ties in the picture. 
I used a shorter straight edge to align these, and also used the Atlas track as an additional guide. The weights are holding down the ties after they are glued. 
Now everything is glued and firmly in place. I have to get my sander and sand to be sure everything is level. The yard here is bowed as it is leveling out from an upward grade.
Okay, we have sanded everything and vacuumed up the dust and we are ready to lay the first turnout. First, I use the template to locate the frog. This gives me a starting point, so I am consistent with the templates.
Frog is in, the two stock rails are down and the points fitted. I am using my mirror to check the flow and it looks good. I also have a truck with my wheelsets sitting here as I use it to make sure everything flows and there are no binds with the flangeways. 
Second turnout has its frog in place, and we are flowing from the first into the second siding. You can see the track is resting in place further down the line. The mirror is always close by.
A closer look at the second turnout. I am also checking the fit of the guard rails. These are Harry Roberts pewter cast guard rails. 
Just for the record, this is how I am working. Standing on the stool on top of the bench that Alan made for me so we can switch this area. If I shift too fast, I can topple over. Almost have twice. Now you know why I am using the mirror! Not too comfortable a position.
Both turnouts are nearing completion so I can cut the ties to match their flow. Phone is there as I got tired of jumping down to answer it!
The guard rails are now going in place. You have to be sure that the flangeways are the correct width. I found that the #6 bolted frogs in code 125 by Right O Way had narrow flangeways, so I had to grind them out. 
We are looking good now. Next, I have to make throw bars.


 Here is an overall view. Throwbars are in the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment