Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Continuing trackwork in Glenburnie

Well, we finished the turnouts in Glenburnie and now we have to put in the sidings. I take older issue Atlas track and remove the large sized rail. This leaves me with many one foot long sections of the plastic tie strip. I sort through what I have salvaged and select what I want to use for the sidings. 
Gathering up my track tools which include a beefy Dremel with a cutoff disc, I get organized. I am going to use pre-weathered Rail Craft Code 125 Nickel Silver rail in three foot sections. The rail sections are laying on the handles of the red pliers. 
I slide this rail into the clamps on the tie strip which holds in very nicely. This rail is a match for the casting from Trackside Specialties so is perfect to build our turnouts and then use for our running rails. 
Here the pile is shifting towards completed three foot sections of track


Having made about 12 sections of track, I am laying the siding tracks using a gauge to ensure they stay nice and straight. I solder the joiners between the sections after I buff off the rail brown paint on the side of the rails. Then I added car stops at the end of the tracks. 

 Here is a long view with the sidings completed as I begin to scope out the tracks that will come into Shamokin. We can see there is about a two inch elevation increase between Glenburnie and Shamokin.

No comments:

Post a Comment