Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Building into Shamokin

Looking up towards the end of the benchwork, I need to develop a way to bring in a local freight and allow the engine to run around its train. The engine will then switch in Shamokin and also can switch the coal mine at the other end. This will require a long passing siding that terminates in a turnout complex. 
This is completed track work back towards the mine. The branch is coming up the hill on the left and the mine tracks come off at the curve.  
As we come around the curve leading to the bridge, the Shamokin track branches off to the left and moves towards the rear wall. 
I plan to place this big furniture factory in the rear corner. I am laying out turnout diagrams to see how I can create that run around track, a siding for the factory and a two track team track on the right. I find I need at least 23 inches from the end of the last set of points to the wall to allow an I1 with a short tender to clear them. 
Based on that planning, I laid out the locations of the 4 sets of point bars that I will need for the complex. I used that large drill to drill the holes for the switch motor linkages and begin to lay the ties. 

 I continue to check and recheck the positioning and use three different numbered frogs to make it all work. There are two No 6, one No 5 and one No 7. Those diagrams are very helpful in this and fortunately, available on the internet. I have painted the Homasote black as a sub-base for the ballast. It allows me to use a white pencil to notate where the points, and frogs will be placed. 

I will proceed to lay all the ties and let the glue dry for a couple of days. Then I will sand them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment