Thursday, November 17, 2022

Some Power Supplies for Shamokin

Well, I need a turnout motor power supply for the mine and Shamokin complex. I used 3 volt Switchmaster like high torque motors in RixRack mounts for the turnout power. So, I gathered my material which included a 6.3 volts center tap filament transformer for the power supply, a bridge rectifier to convert it to DC, a power switch, line cord and a fuse holder. I also ordered a project box from eBay. 
Using my hole drills, I cut mounting holes for the power cord and inserted it with a stress reliever. 
The stress relief required a bigger hole than I had a cutter,  so I used a Dremel cutter to complete the hole and mount the plug.
Here I had gathered the components and used my cutters to cut the mounting holes. 
This is the layout for the top with the transformer on one side, the fuse ahead of it, and the on/off switch next to the power strip. The Power strip has three positions - plus, center, and minus. The feeds come from underneath the top.
Here we see the bottom before all wiring is done. The center tap of the transformer is the Zero voltage, and each side of the bridge rectifier will be plus or minus 3 volts. 

 And here is the simple wiring and we are done, once I connect the line cord to the fuse holder and the on/off switch. So, when I tested the supply, it did not work. Darn!! then, going back and trouble shooting, I found I had a defective transformer. So, I got a new one and inserted it and then it was exactly 3.15 volts on either side. Perfect! Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment