Sunday, June 21, 2020

Heavy PRR Bumpers

 Scenic Express has plaster castings of standard PRR concrete bumpers. They come painted but with no way to attach them but with glue or caulk.
 I wanted a way that I could remove them to ballast or paint around and that would be more secure than glue onto homosote. So, I figured a metal tube would be the way to go. I drew a line about 1/2 inch from the face to hit the beefiest part of the bumper. Then I drilled on the center line of the bumper and on that line, a vertical hole of 5/16 inch diameter.  I also cut tubing 2 inches long. So I made the depth of my hole 1 inch.
 Here we are with the tubing installed. I figure I can lift the bumper off the layout at any time with no problem
 So, now we weather the bumpers before we install them
 Ready for installation
 Here are the three for the wreck train. There is one in the station siding  in the distance as well.
 The engine terminal is he big problem. If an engine is left unattended, it can take a 5 foot fall to the floor. Not good!! So, this is the real reason I used these.
 I drew a line along the back of the engine area about 2 inches from the edge of the table. I used this as my location guide for the drill. It centered it on each track.
 Then I used a vertical driller to make perfectly vertical and square holes at the end of each track
 Here is a piece of tubing set one inch into the table top. The bumper is then placed onto the tubing. It is a nice snog fit.
Here is the track line up. I did add a small piece of track to that near track. They work great!

No comments:

Post a Comment