Sunday, June 21, 2020

Another Geep

 Well, after doing that passenger GP7,  I had another freightGP9 that needed conversion. This was a newer Oriental Model. I started by removing the wrong horn in the wrong location. I added the masts for the antenna and made a new horn.
 New horn is now in, in the correct location.
 Receiving coil added
 It only has 4 wheel pick up so I made wipers and created mounts for them.
 The wires will be added to the frame
 Cab was soldered together, just like the older one. Now it is separated . I also located the cab roof brackets for the antenna.
 These parts are now ready for black paint.
 The frame is a problem but more on that later.
 Here are our wipers, ready to go.

 Here I have added the mounts and wire up from the frame along the long nose.
 Antenna wire is now in, except for the cab roof.
 Here it extends to the front of the unit.


 The fuel tank was very under detailed so I added a fuel gauge. The pipes on the air tanks were just plain wire so I removed them and added castings from P&D for those pipes.
 As I looked at the photos of the engine, I saw that the fuel tank had 8 small round plates along the bend lines n the tank. There were 4 to a side, I located their positions, again using the photos. I took brass pins and turned them in the lathe to match the size of the plates.
 This is how they looked when I was done.
 Now, the problem with the frame. It was stamped for a unit that had a steam generator. So, it had a water fill in the side rail. I had to remove that as this was a straight freight engine. It is the left fill. You can see that it also caused the slot in the side to be shortened.
 So, here I cut out the fill
I have made the opening square to ease a piece of brass in. 
Here is the completed modification. Now on to electronics and painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment