Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Yet another basket case - SC&F ATSF Extended height boxcar

Well, I am a sucker for a challenge, and I really like this car. I have standard height version, a Precision Brass car that is based on an SP car, a Bx-15. I changed the wood door and brake system to match the ATSF prototype. So, I wanted a raised roof car and this is an excellent model by SC&&F. I did not save any views of what I started with, but the ladders were broken so I contacted the owner of SC&F and he forwarded me a new set of ladders! What customer service! It also had some broken parts that I was able to replace from my own stock. This is an overview of the car, and I am going to use a Morton roof walk rather than wood provided to make it more distinctive car. I am not going to attach the Morton walk until after the car is painted. Before I paint it, I have to buy decals from Protocal as the provided ones were gone. Fortunately, Norm had them in stock. 
The hardest part of the assembly is making the extensions of the ladders. That is why the ones the other fellow had were broken. I made up the jig shown in the instructions and was able to use it to make the ladder. I like the inverted dreadnaught end.
The end details were made using different brake parts than those provided with the kit. I kept the power brake but removed the platform. I did not change the retainer valve as I felt the work wasn't worth it. Also added a Yoder coupler pocket.

Grabs were changed to make them even and the corner steps fabricated. 
Cut lever was made up and air hose added. Platform supports are from Intermountain. 
Underbody detail was a soldered assembly that did not use the parts provided with the kit, rather used homemade brass levers. Why? I have no idea, but I used it and just had to realign the rodding. You can see the Yoder coupler pocket as well. 
So, the completed end awaiting painting. The brake platform will go on after painting as it is a galvanized part. 
In making the roof ready to install, I had to preinstall the roof end supports and corner supports so I could just glue it in after I paint the roof black. So, we have about 2 to three weeks to go as we await the decals.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment