Sunday, January 3, 2021

Building the Tunnel and River Banks of the Susquehanna

This is going to be a multipart outline as it was a multifacted project. The track through this section has languished for many years as I had to decide how to integrate it into what was already built. I have been also  been put off by the magnitude of the size of the river. It is the big, bare plywood expanse you see in the center of the picture.  Now that we poured Shamokin Creek with no major issues, I began to see how we could do this river. 
The river will really dominate the area but is essential in allowing me to finish this end of the layout. 
So, we began (Paul is essential in this project) by installing the webbing and rosin paper for the river bank in the easier areas. This is the view under the double bridges
Here we are looking at that area from the other side of the bridge. The void in the middle is where we have to build the tunnel opening. 
We pushed on and finished the rosin paper. I removed the temporary arch bridge to allow us to work the paper. I did install cardboard outlines of the retaining wall. 
The paper is finished except around the mouth of the tunnel.
As usual, everything gathers in the riverbed! I used electrical connector boxes to hold up the track as the trains were still running. 
Ready for plaster cloth. 
Now I am mocking up the tunnel portal and retaining wall. I decided to tie the portal to the bridge abutment by u8sing a tall retaining wall. I cut the Scenic Express portal in about 6 pieces to lower it and remove the odd trim pieces that I had never seen on a PRR stone tunnel portal. So, I lowered the top of the head wall of the portal, and lowered the sides as well. I have a low clearance to the overhead track behind the tunnel that I wanted to stay in view. 
This is a somewhat blurry picture of the portal and wall appearance. I will need a wing wall on the left side as well. Second problem is tying in the wall's color to the bridge pier which was installed some years ago. You can see it i a somewhat dark maroon. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment