Saturday, May 6, 2017

Work Continues


 Well, I have been getting a lot of pressure for new postings as I have been very busy with family issues (new grandchild) and other activities. So, I though I would start with a view of one of our grandsons doing what he loves - which is running Grandpa's trains.
 So, now let us focus on what has been happening. I am trying to move along on the branch line and one big thing is the get the bridge over the main line situated with abutments and then the land forms that they hold back. First thing was to take out the bridge and its temporary supports and place hte real base. I also wanted to weather the bridge using the new techniques I had learned from Lee Turner.
 So, the bridge has been removed and custom sized blocks added to eh plywood base to hold the abutments at just the right height so the rail line has no bumps as it goes on and off the bridge. This was complicated by the fact that the bridge is on a grade, as is the plywood base, and they are different in their variation. Alan is our woodworker and he made exact blocks by laminated pine sections together and then planeing them to the just the right height. We took several measurements to be sure he had the right dimensions.
 The bridge itself has now been weathered using those Vallejo weathering washes and looks lightly rusted and like it has been kept up but not recently painted. It is sitting on the future Susquehanna River
 The abutments came from Scenic Express but I had to cut them down from a double track bridge to get the size I wanted. I took out he middle section and then blended the stones together to hide the seam. I used acrylics to color the stones and weather them.
 When I looked at the land forms, it was apparent that I would need some wing walls. This is a Scenic Express wall as it comes from them before coloring was added.
 I made a bevel cut in the abutment to blend the wall into the side
 I checked the depth and height of the cut to be sure I could get the blend effect I wanted.
 Then I had to block the wall section at the angle needed and use carpenter's glue to join them together.
 I placed a piece of stripwood behind the joint to help in its registration.
 So, here again is the before shot, clearly showing those wood bases for the abutments.
 Eastward abutment is now mounted and you can see how I will blend the land form into the wing wall. I have to do the work behind the bridge before I do that however.
Here is the westward abutment in place. I will bring the fascia up to meet the wing wall as a next major construction phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment